The British & Foreign School Society (BFSS) is a grant giving organisation and offers funding for education projects in the UK and around the world.
The BFSS was founded in 1808 by Christian social reformers to carry on the work of Joseph Lancaster, a pioneer of school and teacher education. It was established formally as a charity by Royal Charter in 1906 (charity number 314286). Today the Society gives grants for education projects of around £700,000 pa in the UK and around the world, while celebrating its heritage.
For a statement of the Society’s Vision, Values and Mission please click here.
The Society’s Governing Body (its Board of Trustees) is known as the Council of the Society. The Society also has a President (Rt Hon David Lammy MP) and a Vice-President (Professor John Furlong). There are two subsidiary committees, the Investments Committee and the Grants Committee.
- Chair Professor Steve Hodkinson. Background in education and the not for profit sector. Formerly Pro-Vice-Chancellor, Brunel University. Trustee and Chair, StreetGames.
- Vice-Chair Reverend David Tennant. Minister in the Baptist Church. Background in education. Lecturer in retirement, Newman University, Birmingham.
- Treasurer Mr Steve King FCMA. Finance professional. Chair of the Investments Committee. Formerly Chief Operating Office, the RSA. Trustee of the Richmond Charities.
- Professor Joy Palmer Cooper. Background in education. Former Pro-Vice Chancellor of Durham University. Chair of Project Sri Lanka charity.
- Mrs Diana Hoy. Extensive experience as Governor/Trustee of several schools and various charitable organisations in the Saffron Walden area.
- Mrs Karen Hughes. Back ground in education. Former GCSE Mathematics Examiner. Formerly worked for Edexcel and Pearson.
- Mr Graham Kingsley. Background in education. Former Headteacher in Hertfordshire and former Chairman of the Association for Science Education. Trustee of STEMteam East.
- Mr Peter Miller. Chair of the Grants Committee. Director – World Class Qualifications, Pearson.
- Mr Stephen Ross. Consultant in charity and education sectors. Charity accountant. Formerly Executive Director of a college and a Chartered Insurance Broker.
- Dr Jaz Saggu. Group COO, PRO Insurance Solutions plc. Visiting Professor of Change Management, Middlesex University.
- Mr Leslie Stephen. Background in education. Former Ofsted inspector and education director. Chair of The Breakthrough Trust (India).
- Mr David Swain FCA. Finance professional. Former Treasurer of BFSS. Formerly partner in a City firm of Chartered Accountants.
- Dr Emily Tomlinson. Director of Admissions, Lucy Cavendish College, Cambridge.
- Ms Juliet Weale. Background in education. Formerly Secretary & Registrar, Brunel University.
- Mr Stephen Wordsworth CMG LVO. Executive Director of CARA, the Council for At-Risk Academics. Formerly British Ambassador, Belgrade.
Staff of the Society
- Acting Director Mr David Crowther
- Finance Manager Mr Raphael Gordon
- Administrator Mrs Belinda Lawrance
- AGM Minutes (2016)
- Annual Report and Accounts (2016)
- Annual Report & Accounts (2015)
- AGM Minutes (2015)
- Annual Report & Accounts (2014)
- General Meeting Minutes (2014)
- AGM Minutes (2014)
- Annual Report & Accounts (2013)
- AGM Minutes (2013)
Please note some downloadable documents on the BFSS website are in PDF format. If you are unable to view these PDF files they can be viewed by installing the free Adobe Reader.